Monday 16 March 2015

Evaluation: Part 1

In what ways does your project use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real film openings?

Conventions my film used...
  • Typical narrative storyline. Vopice-over introduction/Mysterious antagonist introduced/Background information/Contextual information.
  • Costume/Props similar to MOB/British Gangsters 
  • Lighting dark in parts
  • Disequilibrium obvious
  • Street setting 
  • Criminal/Corrupt element introduced

There were a few ways in which I used the conventions of real films, for example, my choice of costumes.

Traditionally, MOB-Gangster and Film-Noir productions use costumes which are formal, smart or sophisticated. British-Gangster films often feature long-length expensive coats and shirts or alternatively leather jackets, hoodies and jeans. These looks are synonymous with the likes of 'Goodfellas', 'Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels' and 'Get Carter'.     
       

I took inspiration from all three films to an extent with my two main characters:



The Antagonist in my opening, Ade Freeman, is dressed in shoes, a shirt, a long coat, a scarf and a traditional cap which ties into the conventions of a British-Gangster production. I kept the colours of my costume dark and non-exclamitory as it fits into the genre, 'Goodfellas' for example, having a similar theme.





My Protagonist, Jamie Carter, was wearing trainers, dark jeans, a black polo shirt and and a black jumper, all of which would fit into a film like 'LSATSB'. Given this character's role in a brief get-away scene, it was fitting to have more casual clothes as British-Gangster films have used this dress scheme in similar situations.



They're comparable these memorable examples:


Shoes, long coat, scarf...










                                                Dark polo shirt...









                                                                  

I also used the feature of direct address to influence my opening.

I also tried to adopt a wide range of shot types and camera movements, for example tracking, tilt up and establishing .This creates the effect of a fast-paced, dynamic atmosphere, playing up to the general conventions of the genre. The direct address shot type has been used in previous MOB and British-Gangster productions, for example 'Goodfellas', in the final scene.












Similarly I used this when the antagonist, Ade, says "but let me ask you a question."












I challenged conventions of the genre through:

My soundtrack choice. I used an edgy, bassy and suspense-building film score which resembled that of a crime TV-drama. Doing this is not common in 'British-Gangsters', Lock, Stock for example, using Hundred Mile City by Ocean Colour Scene, as their generic British Gangster opening song. Conventional opening soundtracks connote London, white gangsters and street crime. In my opening I deliberately wanted to steer away from these stereotypes, linking it more to the crime-thriller aspect.


The titles were another way I challenged conventions:

The usual British-Gangster production features titles that are relaxed, in-formal and contrapuntally playful. Lock, Stock uses lower-case, quick-lasting titles in its opening. 


Through this, the viewer connotes the production with humour and quirkiness..


I didn't want to down-play my titles at all, so instead I chose to use bold, in-your-face, capital letters to establish the mood and atmosphere of my film. Going against this convention attracts a different target audience and drastically changes their expectations.




No comments:

Post a Comment