Wednesday 15 October 2014

Costumes


  
Original 'Gangster look'
In terms of the stereotypical gangster look, this is it. In the majority of films made between the 30s and 80s, the top hat, full suit and long coat are all prime factors that make up the type of costume we all recognize.The clothing is one of the main conventions of the genre, it symbolizes power, style and material wealth. All three being on the forefront of any gangster's mind.

 Modern day Gangster look
Nowadays, the old-fashioned smart style we know and love is virtually non-existant. Instead we have become used to seeing city/urban based film with 'snap back' hats, baggy clothing and jewelry. It's as if the way the modern day gangster is portraied is more laid back. In my opinion this is down to a cultural shift which has seen smart clothing to be viewed as too 'old fashioned.


My Approach
In my costumes I will be a lot more like the modern gangsters of today (being set in a modern day Bristol) but I will consider using hints of the more old fashioned look. For example I could feature an older 'boss' character with the conventional clothing of an older MOB gangster. However the modern style will be most relevant to my British Gangster genre."> Gangster moodboard on PhotoPeach Gangster moodboard on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment